Russell Taber represents large publicly-traded companies, small and medium-sized businesses, and individuals in business disputes. He appears in federal and state courts, at the trial and appellate levels, and in arbitration proceedings. His clients’ cases have involved business torts and unfair competition, information privacy and data theft, healthcare, intellectual property and entertainment, shareholder disputes and business separations, and commercial and residential real estate.
Two Tennessee law schools have used his book Electronic Discovery in Tennessee: Rules, Case Law and Distinctions as a textbook. The U.S. District Court for the Middle District of Tennessee adopted in large part as Administrative Order No. 174-1 proposed revisions to the Court's Default Standard on eDiscovery prepared by a drafting committee that he chaired.
Russell teaches the Cyber Law course at the Belmont University College of Law. He also holds a CIPP-US certification, a non-legal certification provided by the IAPP for information privacy professionals.
The Nashville Business Journal recognized Russell in 2018 as one of Nashville’s Top 40 Under 40. He is AV Preeminent® rated by Martindale-Hubbell and has been named a Mid-South Rising Star by Super Lawyers since 2012.
Prior to joining Riley Warnock & Jacobson, PLC, Russell served as a law clerk for the Honorable Gilbert S. Merritt Jr. of the United States Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit. At Vanderbilt Law School, Russell was a member of the Vanderbilt Law Review, the Order of the Coif, and the Moot Court Board. He graduated Phi Beta Kappa from Georgetown University with a B. A. degree.
Russell co-chaired the Nashville Bar Association Federal Court Committee in 2019 and is a member of the Tennessee Bar Association 2020 Leadership Law Class. He is actively involved in the community, currently serving on the Board of Trustees of Catholic Charities of Tennessee, Inc. and as President of the Catholic Business League.
News, Publications and Speaking Engagements:
- Press Release - TBA Announces 2020 Leadership Law Class, Tennessee Bar Association (Dec. 20, 2019).
- Interview - 40 Under 40: Russell Taber, Riley Warnock & Jacobson PLC, Nashville Business Journal (Jan. 23, 2019).
- Author - eDiscovery 2.0: Nashville Federal Court Upgrades ESI Rules, Nashville Bar Journal Online Article of the Month (Jan. 2019).
- Presenter - ESI, 2018 Trial Skills Conference for Tennessee Practitioners (Dec. 14, 2018).
- Co-Presenter - Update on e-Discovery Law and Technology, Tennessee Bar Association (Apr. 5, 2018).
- Presenter - Cyber-Theft and Data Breaches: What to Do When Your Tennessee Client is Hacked, Tennessee Attorneys Memo Webinar (Dec. 14, 2017).
- Presenter - How to Get Email, Social Media and Other ESI in - and Keep Theirs Out, National Business Institute (Nov. 17, 2017).
- Presenter - Ethical Considerations for ESI, National Business Institute (Nov. 17, 2017).
- Presenter - Obtaining and Using Cell Phone Records, Tennessee Attorneys Memo Webinar (Nov. 2, 2017).
- Presenter - Social Media and How to Get ESI Into Evidence, National Business Institute, Nashville and Knoxville, TN (Aug. 4 and 8, 2017).
- Presenter - Hot eDiscovery Issues Facing Law Firms, Association of Legal Administrators, Nashville Chapter (May 17, 2017).
- Presenter - Email, Social Media, Texts, and Video: How to Find and Use Electronic Evidence to Win Your Case, Tennessee Attorneys Memo Webinar (Apr. 20, 2017).
- Co-Presenter - Legal Ethics & ESI, National Business Institute (Dec. 16, 2016).
- Presenter - What to Look for, Where to Find it and What to do With it: Email, Social Media, Texts and Video, National Business Institute (Dec. 16, 2016).
- Co-Presenter - Data Breach and Privacy Law, Tennessee Attorneys Memo Conference (Nov. 17, 2016).
- Panelist - A Lawyer's Ethical Duties Regarding Electronically Stored Information, Harry Phillips American Inn of Court (Nov. 15, 2016).
- Panelist - How Courts Have Applied the 2015 Amendments to the Federal Rules of Civil Procedure, NBA Advanced Federal Court Practice (Nov. 3, 2016).
- Panelist - Impact of Corporate Governance on Corporations and Law Firms, Nashtech Conference (Oct. 13, 2016).
- Co-Presenter - Cellular Information in Tennessee: Obtaining and Admitting in Litigation, Tennessee Attorneys Memo Webinar (May 25, 2016).
- Presenter - Data Breach and Privacy Law: What Tennessee Attorneys Must Know, Tennessee Attorneys Memo Webinar (Apr. 26, 2016).
- Presenter - Alternatives to Written Discovery, Tennessee Bar Association (Apr. 7, 2016).
- Presenter - Handling Social Media, E-Mail, and Other ESI, Attorney Technology Conference of Tennessee Attorneys Memo (Dec. 11, 2015).
- Co-Presenter - Amendments to Federal E-Discovery Rules Take Effect December 1: Are You Ready?, Tennessee Attorneys Memo Webinar (Dec. 1, 2015).
- Presenter - E-Discovery Latest Developments and Cases, Murfreesboro Downtown Barristers Lions Club (Aug. 11, 2015).
- Presenter - E-Discovery in Tennessee: Where We Are and Where We Are Going, Tennessee Attorneys Memo Webinar (May 27, 2015).
- Panelist - Bring Your Own Device (BYOD) Policies, Women in eDiscovery, Nashville Chapter (May 14, 2015).
- Presenter - E-Discovery: Latest Developments & Case Law Update, TBA Law Tech UnConference (Feb. 26, 2015).
- Panelist - Lawyers Without Borders - Social Media Ethical Considerations in Entertainment and Sports Law, NBA Annual Entertainment Law in Review (Dec. 3, 2014).
- Moderator - Hot Topics in Healthcare Law: Compliance, Information Security and eDiscovery, TSCPA Healthcare Conference (Dec. 2, 2014).
- Presenter - E-Discovery: Trick or Treat? TSCPA Southeastern Forensic & Valuation Services Conference (Oct. 27, 2014).
- Panelist - E-Discovery in Tennessee, Belmont Law Inn of Court (Oct. 14, 2014).
- Presenter - Local E-Discovery Rules and Default Standards in Tennessee, Tennessee Bar Association Federal Practice Seminar (July 11, 2014).
- Presenter - E-Discovery: Case Law Update and Proposed Rule Changes, Tennessee Bar Association Law Tech unConference (Feb. 20, 2014).
- Panelist - Possible Revisions to Administrative Order No. 174, The Prometheus Project (Nov. 6, 2013).
- Presenter - The Latest E-Discovery Precautions, Risks and Advice, National Business Institute (Oct. 30, 2013).
- Presenter - Proportionality in eDiscovery, Federal Practice Seminar 2013, Tennessee Bar Association (July 12, 2013).
- Panelist - Electronic Discovery: Representing Corporate Clients, Law Practice Today Expo, Knoxville Bar Association (Apr. 12, 2013).
- Author - Electronic Discovery in Tennessee: Rules, Case Law and Distinctions (Aug. 4, 2012).
- Presenter - Social Media & Email Evidence Admissibility Issues, Federal Practice Seminar 2012, Tennessee Bar Association (July 13, 2012).
- Facilitator - Electronic Discovery in the Middle District of Tennessee, Sixth Circuit Judicial Conference, Middle District of Tennessee Session (Apr. 27, 2012).
- Author - Reviewing E-Discovery Model Orders as Administrative Order No. 174 Turns Five, Nashville B.J., vol. 12, no. 2, 8 (Mar. 2012).
- Author - The Reexamination Clause: Exploring Bifurcation in Mass Tort Litigation, 73 Def. Counsel J. 63 (2006).
- Author - Special Project: Current Issues in Intellectual Property, 58 Vand. L. Rev. 851 (2005).
- Author - Copyright Déjà Vu: A New Definition of "Publication" Under the Copyright Act of 1909, 58 Vand. L. Rev. 857 (2005).
Intellectual Property Litigation
Vanderbilt Law School, J.D. 2005
Georgetown University, B.A. 2001
American Bar Association
Tennessee Bar Association
Nashville Bar Association
IAPP (International Association of Privacy Professionals) - CIPP/US
Phone: (615) 320-3700 ext. 152
EMAIL | VCARD